Monday 27 May 2019

Protest for Climate Justice.

Greta Thunbery is an inspiring young environmental activist. Her strikes for climate change has given rise in the environmental justice movement.  Inspired by her, around the globe people are protesting for climate change. India is one such country to have just recently adopted this phenomenon of friday for future. Friday for future essentially means fighting on every Friday for a better future for coming generations.

I attended the first such protest happening in Bangalore on the 24th of May. It was also my first experience of attending a protest. I have always read about protest and been very inspired by it but also there is a fear around protest, due to the news we see in the media about violence and stuff.

When I arrived at the protest, I was disappointed. There were very few people, few means around 100 or so but I was like this is no use, to create an effect we need 1000's. People were standing on the step of the Bangalore Townhall. Many were holding different posters, with messages about the environment. On the mike, someone was singing a song, which I couldn't understand at all because of all the traffic noise. For a moment I felt like leaving, thinking I have seen all there is to the event. Since I had travelled a long way to the event I decided to stick around for a while.

They read out the protest appeal - It was an appeal to the environment minister to do some changes in govt. policy to create climate justice. There was an online petition which they asked us to sign and I did that. In my mind, there was this thought "this all is not going to create any effect because the scale is too small for govt. to take action. What is the point of this protest? It is hopeless for the planet"

Next was a talk about how in our personal lives we can be agents of change. How changes in our lifestyle can heal the planet. I knew everything they shared but I realized the importance of this strike. It is not an easy path to change and it has to happen in small steps and this was the beginning. The crowd was mainly youth, which was amazing. Because the young people of the world are the torch bearers of change.
It was nice to see people enthusiastically ask questions about what they can do in their lives and equally great to see young people answer the questions. Veganism, no plastic, planting trees whatever it may be if people are doing it, are aware of it and able to reach 100 people by the strike then its an achievement.

The government may not change immediately but it knows that the people are rising slowly. The Jhatkaa organisation along with Friday for future India will continue to organise such strikes. This shows hope and possibility for change. I left the event with awe and hope. I felt great to be able to participate in the peacefull strike for climate justice.

We declare Climate Emergency! We want Climate Justice and we need it NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment