Thursday 23 May 2019

Travelogue : Himalayan Trek

I found myself amidst mountains, full of greenery, rocks, streams and far away peaks of snow. A family trek took me to the Himalayas for a trek. I wouldn't have gone or planned it myself, I not the adventurous type and I dislike the cold. Having a family that enjoys meaningful holidays rather than full of touristy stuff is very beneficial and that is how I landed in the cold but beautiful Himalayas.

It was a 4-day trek called the Rupin Supin Trek, it was an easy level trek. It was a new, challenging and fun experience for me. Every day we trekked around 8km for 7-8 hours. The trekking was difficult but it was fun to walk. Of course, climbing uphill was tougher than walking down. 
The best experience was the snow. First time in my life I was experiencing snow even though it was just a few 100 meters of snow, walking uphill on snow was scary, I felt I would slip and fall down the mountain. Coming down the snow was super fun because we came sliding down in the freezing cold snow!

Before coming for the trek, I worked on my fitness at home however I was still worried about my physical ability and thought that I might have to deal with body pain. I had underestimated my physical capability. The only problem I had to deal with was the car sickness I felt during the travel to the base camp and back. My body was quite capable of trekking on the level we went.

I really disliked the cold. Maybe because I have never lived in a cold area, I find it difficult to cope with cold. The mountains were cold and that was something I did not enjoy and will be one of the major aspects for me when considering another trek. I just not built for the cold. 
We stayed in tents. Everyday day we camped at different places. I was challenging for me to sleep in tents, in sleeping bags in the cold. I am very grateful for the organiser's Himalayan Hikers because they took good care of us and pampered us with good food. I am also thankful to the mules who carried our backpacks for us so we could trek with ease.

Apart from my family, a friend's family had also come along, It was super fun to play cards in the evening after the trek in the camp. I learnt some new games and enjoyed the fun company of family and friends. The villages, the children, the houses, the goats, the dogs were so different from what I have seen and so cute! I enjoyed the beauty of the place and the kind nature of the people in the mountains. 
I was very pleased to see our trip organisers take care of the environment, they made sure not to use single-use plastic and carried out packed lunches in steel boxes on the trek every day. However, I completely enjoyed food without considering my sustainability or health values like appy terta pack, toffees, kurkure, Maggi etc. I broke my values happily just for the trek.

Overall it was an amazing experience and I would recommend everyone to experience it at least once in their lifetime. I am not sure I will go again but I will cherish the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment